Thursday, March 20, 2008

Why Can't I Offend People?


I'm kind of surprised at some point throughout my writings that I hadn't offended at least one person enough to complain to someone and thus getting some PR in the process.

I mean, any attention is good right? Especially for a website...

Well, that's the situation that Stuff White People Like is currently in. God bless them, they have an enormously funny site with great commentary going on over there and quite honestly have the suburbanite population of DC totally pegged (at least Bethesda, Potomac and Kensington).

To date, there have been 14 million hits, reflecting the nation's current obsession with race and gender, too. For confirmation, check out the comments and speeches by presidential candidates Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton just this past week.

Dean Rader, a pop culture critic who authors weeklyrader.blogspot.com, says readers flock to Stuff White People Like because it's hip and hot and the place to be seen and heard online. "It's just as much about class and coolness and yuppiness and consumption (as race)."
I just have to say that I'm incredibly jealous that I haven't been able to offend anyone sufficiently enough yet to warrant the kind of attention they're getting now. Race humor is apparently very much in vogue right now given the attention (as said above) its been getting in the election, so perhaps the LSWTF crew should be getting into this growing industry?

Lord knows I got plenty of material given my time served in the Bethesda "society" :)

3 comments:

Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe said...

I can't help with the race humor. I live in Vermont, so 1) no people of color and 2) no WASPy urbanites either.

Dews said...

Yea right, closest thing to a minority was me in High school. Being called "Mexican" because the damn rednecks had never heard of Sicily...

We do have some of those yuppy pinheads in Plainfield and parts of Montpelier though.

Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe said...

More and more ignorant flatlanders moving in every day, searching for some liberal paradise.

I'm going to invade their homelands, perhaps with my roommate, and conduct a shock and awe mission upon their decency.