Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Government Involvment I Can Support

Being a libertarian I want the government to not be involved in much of anything. Nowadays they seem to be prying into professional baseball, professional wrestling, and I even hear an investigation of the East Oakland Soap Box Derby. Congress really has now business looking into these businesses when they let so many others get away with rape and murder. So when I found this news item today I had to sit back and say, it's about time.
Forget government corruption or corporate fraud. Three members of Congress want the Justice Department to investigate whether college football’s Bowl Championship Series is an illegal enterprise.

Reps. Neil Abercrombie, D-Hawaii, Lynn Westmoreland, R-Ga., and Mike Simpson, R-Idaho, are introducing a resolution rejecting the oft-criticized bowl system as an illegal restriction on trade because only the largest universities compete in most of the major bowl games. The resolution would require Justice’s antitrust division to investigate whether the system violates federal law.

The measure also would put Congress on record as supporting a college football playoff.

“Who elected these NCAA people? Who are they to decide who competes for the championship?” Abercrombie said at a press conference Thursday on Capitol Hill, gripping a souvenir University of Hawaii football.
Now I know you thought I was kidding, but I'm not. The good Rep from Hawaii has the valid point, why are only the biggest, most known schools allowed to play for the title? I'm telling you I think Boise State would have beaten Florida when they trounced Ohio State. Sure you give them a few scraps from the table, but only if they go undefeated.

Hopefully this will light the fire and get the BCS to realize that the current system is not acceptable and will work on that playoff system any day now...then there is reality.

No comments: