Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Needs of the Many


Muckraker.com has a great article up about a Syrian-Canadian named Maher Arar who in 2004 became the symbol of why we shouldn't allow this administration any type of power.

To give you a quick overview, in 2002 Arar was taken by the US and Canadian operatives to Syria for "firm questioning" (read torture) after another prisoner implicated Arar after "firm questioning". This apparently is the only real evidence against Arar that lead to ten months of torture in Syria. Hell, even out the outset the FBI didn't believe Arar was a terrorist, but they went along with the rendition anyway.

See, this is what I fear. It has happened with some of the Gitmo prisoners where tribal rivals turned into them in as "terrorists" to get rivals away and claim the reward money. We torture people, they name some random name, and that poor bastard is tortured until they realize, yep, this guy doesn't know shit. The CIA, FBI, and whoever else is just shooting in the dark at this point, just hoping to hit something and not bothering to care about those hit in the crossfire.

Apparently this administration and those who would vote for them believe in the Vulcan saying of, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." Except instead of taking it for self sacrifice that it is meant to be, they take it as we can accept mistakes if it "protects America" and gets the "bad guys". I'm sorry, that is not what this country is based on.

We do not sacrifice people in order to make people merely FEEL safer. This does not lead to actual safety, just the illusion you have built up for your lemmings. A President once said, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." Too many in America have forgotten that and have the perception that an entire religion is out for their blood. If you feel the need to kill and torture every single person who is differently then you then I truly pity you and your very black soul.

I will leave you now with two very different literary quotes, one directed at those who are fearful at an entire religion and what your savior says about it. The other is a mantra I try to follow in my life.

You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. (Matthew 5:43)

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
-- Litany against Fear from the Bene Gesserit rite

No comments: