Monday, January 14, 2008

Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.

I've attempted to defend Billy Beane, and have done a good job at I feel. There is no way, however, that I can defend the Oakland A's owner when he says absolutely ridiculous shit.
Look, at the end of the day, it’s where you finish, but you’ve got to have a platform to get there,” Wolff said. “Last year was a disappointment for me, not because the players didn’t try, but we had so many things that didn’t work out.

“I think we’ll do better in ‘08 than ‘07. If we stayed with what we had, on paper it might have looked terrific, but then you’re doing nothing; you’re not proactive. We’ll be very competitive and, with a little luck, will win more games than people are anticipating.”
I can understand why he's thinking the way he is, but let's admit one thing, the old bastard is absolutely wrong. We don't have Joe Girardi as our manager so there isn't going to be some miraculous season that no one sees coming. We have a manager that couldn't get wins and production from the squad we had last year.

You know at the rate Billy Beane does things I can never buy an A's jersey for an active player. My Barry Zito jersey is already null and void, though Chavez is still with the team though I feel only because no one wants to take his contract. I just look forward to next year, when Rickey Henderson is inducted into the Hall of Fame and during his speech he explains how he was just signed by the A's to be their leadoff hitter down the stretch so he can be the first hall of famer to steal a base after induction.

1 comment:

SayHey Kid said...

Beane has me scratching my head as well. There really are no more methods or theorums to explain his thinking.

But looking back 30+ years, Old crazy owners; like Wolff, seem to know what they are doing when all is said and done. But when he says they will compete in 2008, I pull a Dubya: "Say Whaaah?"