Monday, March 10, 2008

A Diamond Upside Down Is A...


Apparently Joe Girardi, a manager I respect very much, is still complaining about a play over the weekend. It's a play that made baseball purists, Red Sox Nation, and Pete Rose smile. Elliot Johnson of the Tampa Bay Rays ran over Francisco Cervelli, one of a few of the Yankees prospects who actually look promising, breaking the Yankees catcher's right wrist at a play at the plate.

When Joe Girardi said he likes his guys to play hard during Spring Training I guess he didn't think it would be played like a real game. For once I'm on the side of Don Zimmer and don't see anything wrong with this play. Elliot Johnson is trying to win a spot on the worst team in baseball history and to try to turn their losing ways around. I know you're now the manager of the all and powerful Yankees, but if this is your reaction to every hard hitting play at the plate I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more times going full charge into whoever is on the train tracks.

I've always been of the old school train of thought, you always play hard and to win, no matter who is in your way. You think Benito Santiago was born looking like he fell down a cheese grader? Well, he might have been but that's besides the point. My point is I want these overpaid prima donnas to play baseball the way Pete Rose played it, the way Ty Cobb played it, but without the racism and gambling. Girardi I'm sure is just angry that he now has no back up plan to Posada.

Hell, if I'm the Rays, this is merely blood in the water for me. The Yankees don't like to be hit, so don't be afraid to throw a few high and inside. Don't be afraid to come in low and fast. After all, isn't that how baseball is supposed to be played? Then again, it's the Yankees they'd rather you hit the ball away then run over the catcher.

2 comments:

SayHey Kid said...

Play hard or get the fuck off the field!!

Spring training or not, you have to do what you can do to make that major league roster. If that means breaking the other guys bones, then so be it......

Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe said...

Besides the "this is the way you play the game" argument, this is how teams start winning too. If your pitchers are willing to run fastballs high and inside, and if your positions players are willing to sacrifice their bodies for a win, your team is going to start pulling out some wins here and there. Add some baseball smarts and you've got a team that'll surprise some people.

The Yankees have to face the Rays 19 teams this season. If I'm a Yankee, I start to worry that this team is coming after me. This is also more proof that the Yankees are getting soft.