Monday, April 21, 2008

Happy Patriots' Day!

I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Patriots' Day. Make sure you celebrate the 233rd anniversary appropriately. It's been a hell of a weekend for sports in Boston and in northern New England. A little run down:

First, there's the Boston Marathon. I know nothing about it. Let's move on.

Second, Bruins are in Montreal tonight, looking to seal their comeback from a 3-1 deficit. This is absolutely bonkers, considering that les Habs had owned the Bs going into this series. There's no love lost between these teams, and the apt Red Sox-Yankees comparisons are going to be flying around tonight. I don't follow hockey, and I know this one is going to be a dogfight.

Third, the Cs dismantled the Atlanta Hawks last night to open their playoff run, 104-81. The Hawks kept it close for a minute, but I knew that the game was over when, with about a minute left in the 2nd, the color guy on Fox Sports New England warned the Cs, mildly, to not let the Hawks think they could make it close. This series might already be over (knock on wood). One other note: the irrational hatred of all things Boston/New England must be have infected basketball, or at least we can forever dispel any notion of an East Coast bias with respect to basketball. The Cs are an acknowledged threat to win the NBA Finals this year, but there's not a ton of coverage nationally. I'm kind of confused.

Lastly, the Sox. Damn. I saw the Rangers go up 5-0 off Wake by the 6th, and my roommate and I decided to take advantage of the unseasonably warm weather up here and hit the driving range. By the time we got back, Paps was closing out the save. I've learned my lesson (again). Sox take on the Rangers again today with the traditional Patriots' Day morning game at 11:05.

Enjoy your Patriots' Day!

No comments: