Thursday, August 9, 2007

Stick with the Elephant

Fellas, if a lady ever tells you that you are hung like a giant panda, do not take that as a compliment. From my friend Salty (via CNN), a sexually suspect giant panda gave birth to twins in China today (although I guess it is technically yesterday in China now).

The panda, "Jinzhu", gave birth to two female cubs on Monday at the Wolong Nature Reserve in the mountainous southwestern province of Sichuan, 11 years after being declared male at birth in 1996, Xinhua news agency said.


"Jinzhu was believed to be male owing to her inconspicuous secondary sex characteristic and behavior," the agency quoted Wei Rongping, assistant director of the reserve's research center, as saying.

According to the article, an adult giant panda's penis on average is about 1.5 inches (3 centimeters) long. The supposed expert claims that this may have been the reason that Jinzhou was thought to be a male for nine years. (On a side note, it only took my mom maybe three months to figure out I was a boy, but I digress.)

Now I'm no zoologist nor have I even been to a zoo in many years but I would assume that there has to be some better way to recognize this type of thing. I realize you can not just pick up a panda to check but maybe use the blow test. I don't know. That's for the scientists to figure out.

But this report begs the questions, how many other sexually confused giants pandas are there out on the streets?

No comments: