Friday, August 31, 2007

These are the eyes of a psychopath

Alright boys and girls pay attention, pay no mind to the O face to your left. Here I am on a beautiful Friday morning to present to you my review of Rob Zombie's Halloween or what we shall call, is the glass half full or half empty? Now I know some people have just buried this movie, down right hated it. I don't know if I've heard one positive review of it, but then tends to happen when you re-imagine such a beloved movie. I for one come down somewhere in between the two, I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. I have feelings on both sides and today we shall go over them without giving away too much.

We shall begin with what I believe are the positives to this movie. First and foremost the star of this movie is without a doubt Daeg Faerch, the boy who plays 10 years old Michael Myers. I think CityCat said it best when she said, "The boy has officially taken the creepy award away from Damian". I do not jest when I say this kid should get a Oscar nod for best supporting for his role as young Michael. I can't think of a movie that showed us a realistic view of what a young serial killer's life would have been like.

There is part of the problem, I think I am falling along the side of if this entire movie was just a prequel, showing how this kid became the monster, it would have been much better. Hell, you could have even stretched it a little bit and made it from when he was a child all the way up until he breaks out of the mental institution. It almost felt like that was where Rob Zombie wanted to go with it, but the studio denied him and wanted the slasher back.

Sherri Moon Zombie, our favorite horror movie seductress, did a delightful job of playing Michael's white trash stripping mom. You really saw a mother who was trying to do everything to be a good mother, but just kept making the wrong choices. When she attempted to make the right one it was a day too late.

Danielle Harris, what can I say about this lovely woman? I've had a thing for Danielle Harris ever since I saw Halloween 4 when I was a teenager. The misses didn't believe me when I said she was our age, and I was wrong. Danielle Harris is now 30 years old and still looks like she's in high school. I must congratulate her on surviving her third Halloween movie and must thank Rob Zombie for getting to know Danielle Harris a lil more intimately, something I've been waiting to do for a very long time.

For the so so category it has to be the Laurie Stroud and Dr. Loomis. I love Malcolm McDowell as an actor, always have. I was initially excited when they said he was going to portray Dr. Loomis, but seeing it on screen I wasn't quite sure. I bought that he was a psychologist and all, but it just didn't have the same presence of Donald Pleasance. It very well may have been that no one can replace Donald, his voice so ingrained into my head as Dr. Loomis. I just didn't get the feeling like he understood Michael like Donald did.

Scout Taylor-Compton played Laurie Stroud, Michael's baby sister and I will say I did buy the family resemblance, they did have that going for them. I thought she was well cast as the prude of her friends, something was just missing for me. I think it had to do with the slasher portion of the film felt so short and forced that we didn't get to know the character at all. We got to know Jamie Lee Curtis, we didn't get to know Scout. Hell, I thought we got to know her friends better then Laurie.

The bad of the movie is it feels like there was a fight between Zombie and the studio. Hell, it could have been a fight between himself. In the end the fight is whether to focus on what made Michael do what he did, the psychological aspect of it and the actually doing. You read my opinion of what they should have done and I think that is the entire fault of the film. It fights with itself throughout the entire movie, leaving it jumbled.

I think I shall give this movie six slashes out of ten. It wasn't horrible by any means, and I think most people's problem is that it wasn't what they expected it to be. The problem is that it hasn't decided what it wants to be and there in lies the problem.

No comments: